Thursday, September 27, 2012

a letter from a transplant...

Dear Fall,

I know on the calendar you are officially here, and there are probably corners of this beautiful Earth that are basking in all of your crisp, cool, golden glory.  But, I am in Arizona, and it seems the closest thing to fall we are going to get right now is dipping into down into ninety degree days....and, at least from where I am sitting, the cacti are not 1) experiencing any magnificent shift in color, nor 2) shedding any foliage that would be remotely comfortable to jump into never mind roll around in! So, (sad sigh), I am left to yearn and pine for the beloved signs of your welcome arrival.

This is a problem for me because I am ready to put away the tank tops and sandals, and pull out chunky knit sweaters and my favorite jeans, I am ready to make tea and coffee (with out the ice) and have it be refreshing and comforting and soul-southing, I am ready to open the windows and feel the crisp air coming in-- instead of suffering under the bi-polarity of stifling temperatures outside and air-conditioned  frigidity inside, and I am ready to bake up a bounty of fall-harvest foods (pumpkin bread is at the top of my list..) without the kids opting instead for ice-cream because that still feels seasonal.  I want to pull on a knit cap at Seth's football games instead of pulling out my pocket fan.

It has gotten to such a point of seasonal desperation that during my trips to Target and Safeway, I make a trip down the air freshener aisle so that the waves of apple cinnamon, pumpkin, and blackberry can lambast me and give me a small, if not temporary, hint of autumnal bliss.

Even the Bible says every season has an end.  Please, let this state of summer give way to what is natural and needed at this time of year. Bring on the crisp air, the cooler temperatures, and the bountiful beauty of fall.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah:

    Loved this,as I have loved all your posts ... Long Beach isn't quite as undramatic as Phoenix, AZ in the Fall, but it is nowhere near the midwestern drama of color and weather change. I was thinking about the fall equinox the other day - here's a haiku about the most noticeable part of fall at this time of year in the southwest:

    Fall Equinox

    The change of season
    passing day lengthening in
    to day shortening

    ReplyDelete