Yesterday, when I sensed there dreaded B- word was about to be uttered, I sent them outside on their bikes and they rode around adventuring for almost an hour. I thought, "Great! They're tired and worn out and will just be ready to chill." After all, an hour riding around in 100 degree temps should wear anyone out, right?
Not so much. In fact, they were more pumped up after the bike ride than before….and I soon learned why.
"Mom! We had this great idea while we were out riding around!"
"Oh, really? What was that great idea?"
"Well, we want to make some money this summer-- (apparently the $15/month they can earn from chores isn't enough)-- so we want to set up a lemonade stand! Can we? Huh? Can we do it now?"
I'm sad to report that my mind went straight to visions of sticky powder and puddles of water, and melted ice cubes, and discarded plastic cups, and torn paper signs left flapping in the summer breeze after only 10 minutes because….you guessed it, they were BORED again. This was not a proud moment for me as a mom. I wanted to avoid the lemonade stand AT ALL COSTS because I knew that it would 1) be a lot of work, 2) would be a mess, and 3) would probably cost more than it made. So, I said no. I cited reasons like needing a costly city permit to serve beverages to the public and lack of a business plan. (Who am I?!?!)
And then, in a glimmer of clarity that redeemed me from looking at their sad and stricken faces, I realized I was sucking the JOY right out of summer. These kids, on their own, came up with an idea. It was a productive idea, an idea with potential for teachable moments, an idea that didn't involve computers or tables or televisions. An idea that I was going to quash with all ridiculous bureaucratic queep that we, as adults, wish we could avoid. You kids want to make a little money this summer? Sorry, I've got all this red tape that I'm going to wrap you up in, and tie a pretty little bow that just about kills all of your precious, unfettered enthusiasm.
So, I threw off the shackles of the adult paradigm and said, "Lemonade stand? On second thought, it's a great idea!"
There were, of course, conditions:
1) They had to buy their own supplies. Granting permission was one thing, but funding their endeavor? Whoa. Let's not get carried away.
2) They could only operate between 3pm-6pm. That means, everything had to be purchased, made, set up, sold, and cleaned-up in three hours. Let's face it, everyone is more motivated by a deadline! Also, I didn't want the river of lemonade to be flowing passed the point of enjoyment. Better to finish on a high note, than have the sour taste of fatigue and bickering lingering.
3) They had to split the money evenly (there were 3 of my kids, and one neighbor boy working together), so this was going to be a great lesson in group effort and reward.
They are already planning their next lemonade stand, and their enthusiasm is rising as quickly as the temperature around here. As for me, I already know what my answer will be when they ask again. Yes, because when life gives you entrepreneurs, let them make lemonade!
No comments:
Post a Comment