About 40 minutes north of Osan, just on the outskirts of Seoul, nestled in between a Hyundai office building and the Kia Motors headquarters, sits Yangjae Flower Market-- a colorful oasis in a city of concrete high rises.
There are rows and rows of greenhouses where merchants sell all kinds of plants, flowers and trees-- so many, you can't even imagine where they will be planted in a city with no backyards.

I went to Yangjae on a gray and overcast day, so walking into the greenhouses was an assault on my senses-- like running smack into a rainbow. Just blinded by the radiant colors and the fragrant smells. I took the opportunity to visit the market on a day when the kids were still in school, so I could truly appreciate the market for all its glory-- without trying to figure out how to keep the kids entertained. My four hours surrounded by flowers felt completely indulgent....I stopped and smelled herbs, rubbing their leaves between my fingers to release swells of sweet basil, rosemary and thyme. I cocked my head curiously at cacti that seemed to be topped with fur hats, and wondered how such an exotic example of botanical expertise made its way to South Korea.


Everyone in the place had green thumbs (and fingers and toes), and their ability to coax such beauty from the rich, black soil was awe-inspiring. I marveled at flowers that were pointy and angular right along side blooms that were perfectly circular. Our creator is pretty creative. And in this small market, that fact was obvious, blooming..... and beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment