Thursday, April 18, 2013

Civil Air Patrol-- where great men take flight

Seth recently joined the ranks of the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) squadron here at Osan, and it has been a huge learning experience for all of us.  

Not only did I have to get over my preconceived (and VERY uninformed) notions of what CAP is-- I will freely admit that I thought it was an organization to breed leaders and play dress-up in uniforms-- but I have to get used to the sight of my little boy (who is NOT little anymore) in a uniform.  
And, let me tell you, nothing brings a lump to a mother's throat like her kid in uniform.   It was like a scene from a movie: he walked in wearing his BDUs, boots and his squadron cap, and I had a 20 second recap of his life flash through my mind from babe-in-arms to toddler to first two-wheeler to first soccer game..... you get the idea.  Woosh! And somehow, I was supposed to juxtapose all of those years of the little boy who always needed my help next to this young MAN who shaves, is almost in high school, stands as tall as his dad-- and now wears a UNIFORM!  Needless to say, I was a sobbing mess for a few minutes. 

GULP.

Seth. Loves. It.  He loves the challenge of drill, the learning, the opportunity to dabble in aviation, the camaraderie, the chance lead his peers.  He is in heaven.  His "orientation weekend" in February earned him his first rank, and he will test this weekend for the chance to promote again.

  As a member of the color guard, he's beginning to understand the importance of the flag ceremony-- oh, and it's pretty thrilling to be able to toss a rifle around during practice. (Every 14 year old boy's dream is to be given PERMISSION to throw a gun around in a show of skill and machismo.... )
 
 And, in a bout of epic awesomeness (his words) he got to take an orientation in a cessna at our local aero club.  He was quick to point out that he has flown an airplane before he even got to drive a car.  Yes. Thank you, for reminding me.




I'm still getting over the jitters I got that day, but I think they have less to do with him actually flying an airplane and more everything to do with the fact that he's growing up way too fast.  And, one day, not too far from now, he will fly out on his own adventures.  GULP.


No comments:

Post a Comment