So, when we moved to Korea, I vowed never to get comfortable! (Okay, I still embrace the days when I can just wear yoga pants and a sweatshirt...but you know what I mean!) It's too easy to let life (read: school, sports, work, church activities, squadron events) drive us to a routine of comfort, familiarity and predictability. I wanted to make sure that we went places where the kids could hear the voices of native Korean speakers, where we could feel the pulse of Korean culture, and taste the spectrum of the Korean food palette. This means that my Korean guide book is right next to my bed, and is marked with little scraps of paper that show potential for exploration. It also means that my dear husband and I have to work constantly on balancing the calendar so that he can secure a few days at home to rest and relax before I propel us out the door on another adventure.
We decided to go big on our first flirtation with exploration and headed to the capital city of Seoul. (Korean Language side note: The word seoul actually means "capital" in Korean. So, the seoul of Korea is Seoul. And the seoul of the United States is Washington, D.C. I'm discovering in my twice-weekly Korean class that the language actually does make sense.....after you get beyond the seemingly random arrangement of lines and boxes that make up the characters (letters). But, I digress....)
Seoul is a HUGE city. I mean mammoth. It is home to over 10 million people, and to make room for all of those bodies, they just built everything UP. As you can imagine, the city is awash with skyscrapers that contain businesses and homes-- and provide a good number of people a bird's eye view of the city's expanse.
| Taking the escalator down to the subway platform. |
I was giddy at the thought of traversing the city on the subway-- a practice reminiscent of my years growing up near London-- and showing my kids just how fabulous big city transportation can be.
After loading won onto credit-card type tickets, we passed through the turnstiles on the brink of a sub terrestrial adventure with two warnings for the kids: stay away from the edge, and don't loose your ticket (yes, it's like ACTUAL REAL money). Both seemed to sink only part way in before the train came barreling into the station and they were lost to wonder and amazement.
Our destination was Deoksugung Palace, one of three royal palaces in the heart of Seoul. As we 1) can't blend in with the local population and 2) are brand-new to the country, I embraced my role as tourist and was not shy about hitting uber-culturally significant sights in the city. Surprisingly, there were far more Koreans at the palace that Westerns.... so then our focus became being good ambassadors!
| The Palace gate |
| East meets West. Apparently, not only America runs on Dunkin'! |
Our first trip to Seoul gave us a chance to peek through a window of Korean history. The culture, the buildings, the ceremonies, and the past are so colorful....I can't wait to get out of our comfort zone some more!
No comments:
Post a Comment